The Harmony Project takes its inspiration from HRH The Prince of Wales’ vision, set out in his book ‘Harmony: A new way of looking at our world’. This vision shows us that, by turning to Nature as our teacher, we are better placed to tackle the challenges facing humankind.
Created in 2018, The Harmony Project recognises the impact of human activity on the natural world, and humankind’s increasing disconnection from Nature. But the Project is founded on the strongly held belief that the solutions to these problems are close at hand. By learning from Nature about principles that maintain balance, well-being and Harmony – and from studying the teachings of timeless wisdom and traditions – we are able to create healthier and more sustainable systems, and ways of living and being.
We envision a way of living and being based upon a deep understanding of – and connection to – the natural world; a way of living and being, in every area of our lives, that is shaped by the application of principles of Harmony and by the timeless wisdom of great spiritual traditions.
We aim to
- show how all life is connected and how principles of Harmony maintain a dynamic balance in Nature
- promote an understanding of how these principles can help us live and work in harmony with Nature and with one another
- support the adoption of an approach to learning that has principles of Harmony at its core, across diverse educational contexts
- develop a network of Harmony centres of excellence and Harmony Practitioners, who apply principles of Harmony to the ways in which they live and work
- research the impact of the application of Harmony principles and disseminate practice more widely to guide and inspire others to take action
We see Harmony as an expression of interconnected relationships, a way of looking at ourselves and at the world of which we are part. All is connected within itself and with the other. For instance, within ourselves, the spiritual, emotional, intellectual and the physical are integrated; between peoples, communities and nations, there are congruent interconnectedness, constituted in their environments, economic and social, built and natural; there is, above all, a deep and sacred bond amongst all.
Harmony calls for integrity, beauty, goodness and truth. It invites a co-creative and generative process towards infinite possibilities of relating, connecting, coordinating and flourishing. It asks questions about justice, respect and coherence in economic, social, political, ecological and interpersonal relationships and embraces conflicts and tensions as creative forces for innovation and transformation.
For humankind, Harmony is our response to the collective challenge of ‘How shall we be?’. It nurtures dialogue and listening, embodies with-ness, and encourages co-being and co-acting.
As an integrative discipline, it seeks ideas and practices that can inspire us to live out principles of harmony in our everyday life – in families, in our communities, in our public institutions, and globally.
We have created a new website for The Harmony Project, which contains a downloadable resources, articles, blogs and events information.